Monday 16 June 2014

Rebranding my Blog

I started this blog five years ago with a focus on sustainability and environmental issues. I had just completed an MSc in sustainable energy and environment from Cardiff University, and my day job was promoting energy efficiency, government policies and renewable energy to communities and local authorities. I enjoyed it immensely as it offered real life interaction with communities working on real and challenging projects.

Over time, my interest changed a bit with role changes. Project management with all its components became my passion. I had been involved in project management for a while before, but learning to use a structured approach and terminologies such as in PRINCE2 made a lot of difference. It was really pleasing to be involved in managing solar PV installation projects, thus retaining the sustainability slant. It's one think to talk about how good something is, but another thing to get your hands dirty doing those good things. There was a long period of silence which I struggle to explain.


Now I find myself fulfilling the role of a risk analyst: a very exciting role which amazingly combines project management and sustainability, especially when looked at philosophically. Sustainability is about keeping going, and being able to identify all the potential show-stoppers is a good place to start.  Risk management, not only identifies the potential show-stoppers, but also seeks to quantify them and propose mitigation measures that can be assessed for their effectiveness. The saying that "if you can't measure it, you can't manage it" is what risk management does with sustainability. In the days working with green champions, it was always about saving the world and other niceties.

However, I have a few other interests that are not directly related to my day job. In addition to this blog, I write for Africa on the Blog. I read a lot and like reviewing books. I have been on several attempts to have my own books completed and published. I am passionate about the origin of people, stuff and ideas. I am fascinated by reason and logic, and can spend hours listening or watching people who have got something reasonable and logical to say. I have also relearned to challenge all previously held views. My views are liberal but I am nostalgic of harmless beautiful  traditions. I am a lifelong learner with a long list of things I still want to learn. I obverse people a lot trying to understand why they behave the way they do, often to my own detriment. I follow current affairs very closely, and never hesitate to air my views. I can't stop admiring beautiful women especially when beauty is accompanied by charm and intelligence. I dream of travelling to the Caribbean,  South America and China in the nearest future. I have become addicted to twitter as of recent and think I might have to see my doctor soon. I started playing tennis recently, and I am also out making new friends.

I have therefore decided that this blog will  from now on be the whole aspect of me rather than just career related. My views may be controversial but they are mine. Please feel free to leave a comment to let me know what you think.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Christopher, I came across one of your posts on “Africa on the blog”,and I had to find you. The post was titled “An African in Norfolk”. It was a great read, as I can relate with those experiences. It was exactly what I needed as I just moved here a month ago and trying to find other Africans. Luckily for me, I stumbled across some African men playing soccer close to my house and they told me about their churches, which I plan to start visiting soon. I will look up those festivals you mentioned in the post and I look forward to making Norfolk my new home. Your writing is amazing, and I will love to grab a copy of one of your books if they are published.

    ReplyDelete