Tuesday 1 June 2010

Introduction

Hi all!

I am back into writing after a very long break. I have spent the last two years trying to gather knowledge and being an observer and listener. For those who do not know me well, this has never been a usual role for me. With at least 10 years of experience in the classroom as a teacher and lecturer, even longer period of time as a singer in a reggae band, and then 5 years experience as an NGO leader, I have often found myself on the stage doing the talking.

My previous blogging mostly involved publishing some personal stories as part of a project with Afrolat, writing articles on my website and then blogging for policy.lv. I was about to say that my areas of interest have changed but that would not be true. It would be more correct to say that my interests have widened. In addition to issues related to society integration, diversity and cultural cohesion, pressing global issues such as sustainability, energy and the environment have come on board.

The academic year 2008/2009 was spent at Cardiff University doing a masters in Sustainable Energy and Environment. This was a brave move going into full time studies as a mature student. However, I believed in pursuing my dream. It was a life changing moment and has paid off despite all the practical challenges as you would imagine. I will be heading down to Cardiff in July for my graduation.

I now work for the Energy Saving Trust East of England Advice Centre as County Communities Manager for Norfolk and Suffolk. The job involves giving support to Local Authorities and community groups in the area in order to achieve reductions in carbon emissions. The job takes me around to all the nooks and corners of the counties. I enjoy it very much as it offer great networking opportunities and a sense of fulfilment.

I believe I have a lot to communicate here. My diverse background puts me in a position to see things from different angles. I was born and bred in Nigeria, spent most of my adult life in Latvia and now live in the United Kingdom. My interests also widen by the day as I continue on the road to self discovery. My life motto has changed from time to time. However, the one I remember most is a verse from Bob Marley song: "Lord I wanna keep on moving". Another of my favorite quote was the one from Nelson Mandela written by Marianne Williamson:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world. There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.”

My postings here will cover all my areas of interest. The opinions here will be mine and not those of my employers. You are welcome to leave your comments or contact me directly if you so wish as I look forward to a two way communication.

Cheers!



8 comments:

  1. Interesting stuff Chris - singer in a reggae band eh?
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. Līga Krastiņa1 June 2010 at 22:09

    Hi Chris,

    thank you for this wonderful and inspiring quote of Mandela! Looking forward to your next posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abdullahi Baba Babanya1 June 2010 at 22:50

    dum dum, lab dien, kedu,? its nice you are strong in words. when we turn from fossil to biofuels do we really cut the carbons, or is it a gimmick for smart guys to make more cash?for us south of northern hemisphere, planting more trees, solar and wind hold the clue to cleaner sustainable energy.
    kachifono

    Abdullahi, Lagos

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ejugbo Stanley2 June 2010 at 11:16

    Great words of wisdom brother... It is pure madness to continue doing things the same way and expect a different result. It is time to seek cleaner source of energy as well preserve our environment. It is time to give back to nature... Yes we can!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having known you for many, many years and seen the varied roles you have assumed in the community,I am sure you will live out this one to the fullest. Best wishes to you in the future. Maya Angelou said: "People can only do what they know to do, not what you think they should know, not even what they think they say they know, they can only do what they know to do."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all for the comments and encouragement. I am happy to see that you all agree that sustainability is the way forward and that inaction is not an option.
    Addullahi: In terms of biofuels and carbon reduction, I think we need to consider all the options. In addition to climate change, other factors such as using renewable home-grown fuel, security and empowering the local economy are important. As in all cases, caution and balance are required.
    Stanley: We can indeed! I believe there is a potential for sustainable energy in Nigeria despite the oil and gas reserves.
    Charlotte: Thanks for the kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's nice to know more of you. I hope to read more as time goes on. All the best in your work and your future endeavors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Myne: Thanks a lot for the kind wishes. It's good to see the things we share in common:born and bred in the same city Enugu;hailing from the same state; teaching, NGO etc. Source:http://www.vanguardngr.com/2010/08/01/my-intention-is-to-contribute-to-the-writing-of-the-romance-genre-in-nigeria-myne-whitman/

    Keep up the good Work!

    ReplyDelete