Sunday 5 December 2010

Free Solar PV Survey Results

This post is to thank everyone who participated in my free solar PV survey a while ago,and also to share what many of you had to say.


 Here is the scenario once again:

A reputable company has approached you and has offered to install solar PV on your roof for free. In exchange you get free electricity while the system is generating. Bear in mind that this is a 25 year contract. What is your reaction?

Here are your responses:

Well, let me think...I have a few issues to clarify: 47%


I will wait till I can afford to do it myself: 22%

Yes, why not?: 19%

Other Option: 9%

No way! I won't let someone own my roof for 25 years: 3%

Some of the comments that came with "Other Option" included:

"I will go for it when I have enough money to install one myself.. wouldn't mind taking some loan for it also.. the payback can be 10 yrs don't matter"


"I would need to know who the company was first?"

"I'd be positive, but I'd have to check what this means legally - what if I decided to move? In what degree would this effect a new owner? (and would my house get a decreased value?)"

I will let you draw the conclusions yourself. A friend of mine suggested I title this post "Greed Vs Green" but that is only his opinion.

Comments welcome

Here are a few comments on this post from different social media:


"I agree wt d "greed vs green" ur friend suggested..
  in my opinion,d human nature is prone to free things so we tend to jump into such offers wtout double checkng nd knowng what it entails..we exhibit our selfish desires in acquisition of greener pastures which might or might not cost us in future "
Ifeoma Okeke via Twitter (@misskutealways)

"hey big man , prosta zametchatelno kak vsegda ti nas udevlayech , the solar systems are available now for household water tank storages in order to provide a clean and pleasant water without any additional energy consuming for all subscribers , save water , spasiba chris "
Bassem Ghayda via Facebook




Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comment:

  1. It's a really difficult issue, because people are so often given too-good-to-be-true offers that turn out to be scams that they lose trust in everything. The only thing they trust upon is in following the status quo, because that way "you know what you're getting", but then, of course, the leave themselves in the vulnerable position, exposed to the instability of energy markets, the global economic climate and the upsetting of the balance of nature. I don't really know why I'm saying "they", because I know I am guilty of this too. I try every moment to fight against it, but it seems this attitude is substantially engrained into our culture. The technology is out there, so the biggest development we can make is bringing our culture up to speed with our technology.

    ReplyDelete